Wimbledon is a suburb of London, part of the London Borough of Merton and located seven miles (11.3 km) south west of Charing Cross.
For most of the past one hundred years, Wimbledon has been internationally known as the home of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships.
The name Wimbledon means “Wynnman’s hill”, with the final element of the name being the Old English dun (hill). The current spelling appears to have been settled on relatively recently in the early 19th century.
The village is referred to as “Wimbedounyng” in a charter signed by King Edgar the Peaceful in 967 and is shown on J Cary’s 1786 map of the London area as “Wimbleton”.
Wimbledon has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age when the hill fort on Wimbledon Common is thought to have been constructed. The original centre of Wimbledon was at the top of the hill close to the common – the area now known locally as “the village”.
In 1087 when the Domesday Book was compiled, Wimbledon was part of the manor of Mortlake. The ownership of the manor of Wimbledon changed hands many times during its history. The manor was held by the church until 1398 when Thomas Arundel, Archbishop of Canterbury fell out of favour with Richard II and was exiled. The manor was confiscated and became crown property.